Rugby Super Series
Spread the word!

Rugby Super Series match day three in Kakamega served its fair share of drama and intrigue. Right from the Faiba Mobile Rhinos causing an upset in the early kickoff to lightning causing a game to be abandoned, it was a rollercoaster of emotions at the Bull Ring. 

Very few expected the Faiba Mobile Rhinos to upset competition favorites Menengai Cream Cheetahs in the early kick-off. Like the rest of the teams, Faiba Mobile Rhinos had made many changes to their starting lineup. 

Head Coach Paul Murunga was taking charge of the side for the first time having jetted back into the country with the Kenya Lionesses from Madagascar. His impact was visible right from kickoff as Ryan Odua went over almost immediately after kickoff. 

Victor Odhiambo would soon go over for his first of the game, Stephen Osumba missing the conversion. Menengai Cream Cheetahs had also made changes of their own, opting to rest some of their key players. They mounted a comeback to level the scores 10-10 through a converted try from their captain Amos Nyamanya and a penalty from flyhalf Abutwalib Abdalla. 

Victo Odhiambo would then go over for his brace, Osumba adding the conversion. Osumba would then slot in a sleek 52-meter penalty to further extend the Rhinos’ lead to 20-10, a lead they would take into the breather. 

In the second half, Menengai Cream Cheetahs mounted yet another comeback with the introduction of Samson Onsomu at scrumhalf and Chrispin Shitundo at inside center. The changes worked like a charm as Shitundo and Emmanuel Mboya went over in quick succession to level the scores at 20-20. 

The Menengai Cheetahs would take the lead for the first time when Abutwalib Abdalla slotted in another penalty to see them lead 23-20. It was however a case of too close yet too far for the Cheetahs as the introduction of Paul Mutsami by Faiba Mobile Rhinos saw the Nairobi -based side retake the lead for good.

From a 5-meter scrum, Mutsami dived over to see his side win their first game of the campaign. His contribution also saw him named man of the match.

The second game of the day was called off in the 60th minute after thunderous rain forced the hand of the match officials. By the time of abandonment, KCB Bank Lions were leading Kabras Sugar Buffaloes 20-5. 

Before abandonment, Levi Amunga was putting on a kicking clinic with 5 successful penalties adding on to a Derrick Wechuli first half try. The hosts would pull one try back through center Hillary Salano. 

In addition to the rains, the game also saw KCB Bank Lions center Claude Kennedy sent off for foul play. Kennedy was making his debut for the side but will now miss out on the final. 

Following the weekend’s results, KCB Bank Lions moved to the top of the log tied with Menengai Cream Cheetahs on points but with a superior goal difference. Faiba Mobile Rhinos moved to third, again, tied on points with Kabras Sugar Buffaloes who now sit fourth. 

The Rugby Super Series will make a return to Nairobi on Saturday 25 May after being on the road for two weekends. KCB Bank Lions will take on Menengai Cream Cheetahs in the final while Faiba Mobile Rhinos will take on Kabras Sugar Buffaloes in the bronze final.

Facebook Comments
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop