Preparations for the Kenya Under 20 rugby team (Chipu) for the 2020 season are underway and training is expected to commence from January 5th 2020.
Chipu will participate in the Barthes Cup in 2020 at a date and venue to be confirmed by Rugby Africa. The tournament has traditionally been held in either March or April. If Chipu successfully defend their title, they will be Africa’s representatives at the Junior World Rugby Trophy to be held in Spain from September 14th -27th 2020.
Training and selection will be done in selected regions across the country. These sessions will focus on core skills, match fitness, and game play. Players will have an opportunity to showcase their rugby skills whilst participating in a range of practices and playing various conditioned games.
· 2019 Post KCSE players who played 1st XV rugby for their schools.
· University and Club players who are within the right age group.
· Kenya citizen or Kenyan Passport Holder
· If you hold a foreign passport you must have been resident in Kenya for 36 months, or you were born in Kenya or have a parent or grandparent who was born in Kenya.
· Date of birth: Front Row 31st December 1999 – 31st December 2001. Other Positions – 31st December 1999 – and younger, but parental consent will be required to take part in the trials.
The following dates and Venues have been set for trials for the different regions.
Rift Valley region: Saturday 7th December at the NAC Grounds from 8am to 12 pm.
Eastern and Central region– Sunday 8th December in EMBU from 8am to 12pm.
Nyanza region – Tuesday 10th December 2019 in Kisumu from 8am – 12pm.
Western region – Tuesday 10th December from 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm at the Kakamega Showgrounds
Nairobi region and International Players – Sunday 15th December at the RFUEA grounds from 9am – 12pm.